chocolate,

Black Magic Cake

December 01, 2019 Fatima Khan 0 Comments



Psst! Wanna know the secret ingredients to the best chocolate cake ever? It's none other than buttermilk and coffee! Wait wait... just hear me out. Buttermilk gives the cake more body and makes it deliciously moist, while coffee deepens the flavor of the chocolate and gives it a rich, dark color (I promise you, you won't even taste coffee in the cake!)

As you will see in my future posts, I use this recipe for fondant cakes, buttercream cakes, cupcakes, and even cake pops! The recipe is so easy because you just have to mix everything together into one bowl and bake. Each bite is heavenly, and I literally cannot stop making it.

I was introduced to this recipe in my early baking days. My mother brought home Hershey's Cocoa Powder from the store one fine sunny day. It came with a tiny recipe card with instructions of how to make Black Magic Cake. That was one of the few things that initially triggered my love for baking. I used never give a second look to recipes I saw in magazines or the internet, but for some reason I thought "It's written by Hershey's, it must be good", and the curiosity led me to creating this chocolate lover's dream of a cake!

But what if I don't have buttermilk?

Not to worry! Just add one teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar into the measuring cup and fill up the rest with milk to the 1 cup mark. Leave it to sit for a few minutes until the milk curdles up. It's really that simple!

Here are some of my creations using this recipe from last summer. See, it's not everyday I get to bake now that I'm off to college, so when I finally get a chance, I go all out and make sure to fulfill each and every craving at least twice.





Do note that the batter will be fairly thin, due to the hot water being poured in. 



Black Magic Cake 

Cook time: 30-40 minutes                    Prep time: 15-20 minutes                    Serves: 6-7

Print this Recipe

Ingredients: 

- 2 cups sugar 
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 
- 1 teaspoon salt 
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs 
- 1 cup buttermilk* 
- 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee added to 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Instructions: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two 8 inch pans with parchment paper and grease the sides.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla. Beat with mixer for 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour the batter into desired pans or cupcake liners.
4. Bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out just about clean.

*Buttermilk: 1 tablespoon white vinegar + milk to equal 1 cup.

Did you try this recipe? Let me know in the comments below!

0 comments: