sweet

Rosette Cake Tutorial

September 14, 2019 Fatima Khan 2 Comments



When I came home from college for the summer, I took up the challenge of making birthday cakes for all my family members' birthdays. I have never had trouble with baking sweets, but I was intimidated by the idea of cakes and cake decorating. My hands weren't steady, my frosting was runny, and layering cakes was a whole different headache. I would spend hours and hours and still end up with a sloppy, dripping mess. It was truly a nightmare, and after many failures, I gave up on birthday cakes altogether.

But this summer, I mustered up my courage and took this as an opportunity to learn. My little's sister's birthday was the first, August 12. After days of searching and looking at images of cakes ideas, I stumbled upon a rosette cake and instantly fell in love. The rosette cake looked beautiful, elegant, but also quite easy to pull off.



I watched countless Youtube tutorials, articles, and Pinterest images to make sure I don't mess up. I may have cheated a little and used a boxed vanilla cake mix (I will be uploading my very own vanilla cake recipe soon). Homemade cakes are always preferable, but I was already super anxious about messing up that I just saved myself the hassle.

Tips to make boxed vanilla cake mix taste better:


- When adding eggs, add two extra egg yolks
- Use melted butter instead of vegetable oil for a richer flavor
- Use milk instead of water.

I made two 8 inch cakes and layered them. Try to go for a taller cake when making a rosette design; it looks epic, trust me.

For frosting, most people prefer buttercream, but my family isn't fond of it (they find it overly sweet), so I whipped up some heavy whipping cream and colored it with blue powdered food coloring. To stabilize the cream so that it holds its shape longer, I added some gelatin. Here are other ways you can stabilize your whipped cream.


Things I learned while making a rosette cake: 



- You'll need a LOT of frosting. Make more than you think you'll need. It is always better to have leftovers rather than to run out in the middle of decorating. For two 8 inch cakes, I needed about 3 cups (700 ml) of whipped cream.
-Drizzle some fruit juice or sugar syrup on the cake to make it more moist.
- Put a thin crumb coat and chill the cake before piping the rosettes. If you try piping rosettes directly on the cake, they won't stick and will fall right off.
- Practice your technique on parchment paper before trying it on the cake so you can get a feel of how you would want to pipe on the cake. 
- Start at the bottom of the cake and work your way to the top. 

How to pipe perfect rosettes: 


I used this large star piping tip for creating the rosettes. You can use any other star tip you have, but I found this to work best. 


Point your nozzle at what is going to be the center of the rosette. While applying even pressure, pipe a circle in a counter-clockwise motion. What helped me was to try drawing an 'e' shape. Finish your bottom row of the cake. For the next row, start in between the two bottom rosettes instead of directly on top of them. This makes sure that you have no gaps in between. If you still end up with gaps, fill them in with stars or tiny swirls.

And there you go! That was my first cake decorating experience; not too bad huh?



What are some of your cake decorating tips? Let me know in the comments below! I could learn a lot :)




2 comments:

  1. I will make this for my little sister in her birthday. THANK YOU 😂 btw I don’t know how to make a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete